Monday, May 22, 2006

Sumo part 2

Here I am leaning against this big guys butt outside the sumo building.Outside Ryogoku station waiting for Randee and her friend Leann.
The girls ouside the stadium trying to look buff.
Going to the sumo tournament was quite fun. At least it was more interesting to watch live than on TV. Our seats were up towards the top and cost ¥4,900. Not bad when you consider that it is for all day long, 8:30 till 6:00. Most people actually only come for the afternoon, but I'm sure there are a few die hards that stick it out for the whole day. I think I saw one of them obviously drunk and sound asleep in his box, waiting for his other friends to arrive. I would like to sit down on the lower level some time but you only have an area only about 4 or 5 feet square that you have to cram 4 people into, I think that I might have trouble walking after sitting on the floor the whole time.

During the whole day there are men that run around delivering gifts and obentos (lunch boxes) to the people in the stadium they were all wearing Yukata with a kind of hakama like a pair of wrap around pants that go up to your knees and are open from there on the side and are tied at the waist. I think they are properly called 馬乗り袴(umanorihakama), meaning the hakama for riding a horse.

No comments: