Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Reflections on Christmas' Past


During college my Christmas music of choice was "The Messiah". It most have been my room mate Brian that got me started listening to it, but it seems like that as Christmas rolled around that was the only music playing in our dorm room. After graduating from college I was really happy to sing in Shelby's community chorus it one of their preformances of this great work. I think the director (our high school choir director) was surprised at how well I could sing given that I never sang in High School. I remember him saying how happy that I had joined the preformance.
I have also liked some of the modern re-arrangements of some of the pieces like, "The New Young Messiah". At Tamasei the tradition continues, at the PTA Christmas the Halleluja chorus is sang and for the high school Christmas worship 3 songs from the Messiah are sung.

One of my favorite songs from "The New Young Messiah" is "Surely He has born our Grief" sung by Michael English, Steve Green, and Larnelle Harris. Really it is from the Easter section, but Chirstmas is all about the coming of Christ and he came to do just that bear our grieves.



And of course we have the soulful version of the Messiah.
This one done by the Broklyn Tabernacle Choir.

No comments: