Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Unusual Christmas Music

Something that I have found interesting over the years is how many different people put out Christmas albums. Seems like everyone is willing to jump onto the Christmas band wagon so to say. A couple I have never really understood are Barbra Steisand, and the Mormon Tabrenacle Choir. We all know that Barbra is Jewish, so why has she released 2 Christmas albums.


The one that I have, "A Christmas Album" includes the following songs:


"Jingle Bells"
"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"
"The Christmas
Song"
"White Christmas"
"My Favorite Things"
"The Best Gift"
"Sleep in Heavenly Peace (Silent Night)"
"Gounod's Ave Maria"
"O Little Town of Bethlehem"
"I Wonder as I Wander"
"The Lord's Prayer"

I do love her rendition of Jingle bells.






She starts out with the classic non-religous songs, but ends strong with the Christian classics. Why would she want to sing aobut the birth of Jesus, or praise Mary with Ave Maria, and The Lord's Prayer? What was she thinking. I mean I do thik it is cool that she would do it and I hope the songs made her think but still how can she sing the songs with any kind of meaning?


And speaking of singing without feeling or meaning, how about the Mormon Tabrancle's version of The Messiah? It's actually a good redition but how much life it would have if the people singing it really believed what they were singing.




No comments: