Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Mike vs Makoto

Let me start off by saying I think I'm addicted to this sandwich. It is the Milano A Sandwich at Doutor. And I usually get a Classic Vanilla Latte to go with it.

Now let me continue by saying what is wrong with the staff at Doutor. I popped into the Hiyoshi store this evening to satisfy my craving and I ordered my usual combination. Ok it seems that at whatever store I go to they seem not to be able to understand that I want a Classic Vanilla Latte. I have even resorted to pointing at the picture so there are no mistakes. And it is not like the sound of these 3 words are so much different in Japanese or English, since it is transliterated. So tonight I ordered and I should have realized right away that a mistake was coming when the cashier hesitated just a moment then glanced back at the picture. Then as I saw him making the drink I thought, "Is he doing things backwards the milk that he is foaming looks like it already has coffee added?". And low and behold my suspicions were right he has made a Tiramisu Latte. I wanted to yell, "Are you hard of hearing! My pronunciation can't be that bad!", but I just took my sandwhich and sat down.

Now this brings me to the title of this blog, sometimes I think I'm turning Japanese and there is this little Japanese guy, Makoto, that pops his head up every now and then. This was a prime example, where is that American guy, you know Mike, who would say, "I asked for Classic Vanilla, not Tiramisu. Pleas say it with me, Classic Vanilla, Tiramisu.... Classic Vanilla, Tiramisu. Not even close! Get me the right drink." Well it is all about changing and adapting, learning that sometimes it is better to be Makoto than Mike, or at least pretending that it is ok.

No comments: