Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Makihara Noriyuki

Thanks to Katsuya Oi for sharing this song on Facebook. There is an English version also, but it is not as good as the Japanese. I'll just post the Japanese, but listen to the English too. I will give a translation, that Katsuya wrote after I edit it.



My Translation
My Precious Gift

Just a little bit ago I found a wonderful thing.
I picked it up and my heart was filled with joy.
Then suddenly from the corner of my eye I noticed a man and realized that he was in greater need of this wonderful thing than I.
And even though I really wanted it too,
I decided to give it to him.
He was so happy, and smiled and thanked me over and over, and I knew that somewhere down the road I would certainly find even more wonderful things if I looked.

Later I came across another wonderful thing and picked it up.
And again just like before I noticed another person from the corner of my eye who also seemed to need this wonderful thing more than I.
And even though I really wanted it too,
I decided to give it to him.
He was so happy, and smiled and thanked me over and over, and I knew that somewhere down the road I would certainly find even more wonderful things if I looked.

All through out my life this happened over and over and I as I look back on my life I wondered, where is my wonderful thing.
And as I looked back along the path I had trod I saw many people smiling and treasuring there gifts, and I realized this was “My precious gift”

Katsuya's translation
The precious thing

On my journey, I was filled with joy, picking up a precious thing a while ago. Soon after looking around, I noticed I was not the only one seeking it out. The man in need seemed to yearn for the precious thing I found, but be too afraid to ask. Upon pondering, I decided to give it to him with realization that he needed it more than I would. Despite my slight hesitation, I was happy with his smile. Besides, I was sure that there would be more precious things that I could find along my path!

Later, I came across another precious thing. Soon enough I saw there was another man who seemed to need it more than I would. I ended up giving it away again. This time, however, regression barely surged though me, definitely weaker than last time. I was sure that there would be more precious things that I could find along my path. Besides, it was pleasing to see the man filled with happiness and smiling at me!

As I have come further, I kept running into many precious things, and people who really needed them. I couldn’t find the most precious thing for myself. But you know what? When looking back at the path where I walked along….

I saw a number of people cherishing what I gave, and smiling happily. At that moment,
An emotion I couldn’t even describe run through me. I came to know that I no longer needed to look for more precious things, because I already have one in my heart.

Thank the God! I finally have had gotten what I exactly wanted!

And for you Japanese speakers here are the Lyrics.
さっきとても素敵なものを
拾って僕は喜んでいた
ふと気が付いて横に目をやると
誰かがいるのに気付いた
その人はさっき僕が拾った
素敵なものを今の僕以上に
必要としている人だと
言う事が分かった

惜しいような気もしたけど
僕はそれをあげる事にした
きっとまたこの先探していれば
もっと素敵なものが見つかるだろう
その人は何度もありがとうと
嬉しそうに僕に笑ってくれた

その後にもまた僕はとても
素敵なものを拾った
ふと気が付いて横に目をやると
また誰かがいるのに気付いた
その人もさっき僕が拾った
素敵なものを今の僕以上に
必要としている人だと
言う事が分かった

惜しいような気もしたけど
またそれをあげる事にした

きっとまたこの先探していれば
もっと素敵なものが見つかるだろう
なによりも僕を見て嬉しそうに
笑う顔が見れて嬉しかった

結局僕はそんな事を何度も繰り返し
最後には何も見つけられないまま
ここまで来た道を振り返ってみたら

僕のあげたものでたくさんの
人が幸せそうに笑っていて
それを見た時の気持ちが僕の
探していたものだとわかった

今までで一番素敵なものを
僕はとうとう拾う事が出来た

No comments: