Thursday, January 29, 2009

Shirakunoyu 志楽の湯

As anoyone who knows me knows I love onsen! And in Japan the chance to soak in natural hot springs around the country is plentiful. Last night I made a new discovery almost right in my own backyard. Jason wanted to go to a bath so I suggested this place because I had heard that it was nice. Nice although is not a word that does this place justice. It is an oasis in the middle of a thriving metropolis. I actually felt like I had left the confines of this bustling city. Even if you can't read Japanese a look at their homepage will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Below are a couple of pictures from that page. There are only 2 main baths but the size of the inside one alone is worth the trip. I would say you could probably get 50 to 100 people in it.


Then there is the outside bath.

Both of the baths are natural hot spring water and they were rather salty which was a bit of a surprise. And it was so calm and peaceful, I think Jason and I were the only ones talking. It just called for you to relax, be quiet, and enjoy the calm. I think it is goint to be a new retreat for me.

No comments: