Saturday, January 14, 2006

Floating Market


On the last day in Thailand we decided to take a tour to a floating market. Julie decided that she we stay in Bangkok and do some computer shopping, so Jenny & I set off at 7:00 with our driver and guide towards the canals. We picked up two other couples on the way, and we got a very nice overview of the city and a short history lesson along the way. I don't always like to be tied to a tour schedule, but I have found that it helps to get a better feel for some places if you at least try one tour. Of course there were a couple of stops along the way, one at a sugar processing tourist trap. When we arrrived in the area we got loaded into a boat with all the other tour groups and took about a holf hour boat ride trough the canals, nothing too exciting too see, but amazing that people still live along these canals.

We were dropped off in an area mainly geared for tourists, selling all kinds of souvenirs, but our guide promised said he was now taking us to the real market area.

Ok it was a real market, and there were people in boats selling food, or cooking food, and if my stomach had been up to it I would have loved to try a few things. As we walked by the boat with the guy selling rice my appetite was awaked, but I still wanted to be on the safe side, and I had to settle on a coke to tide me over.


We had about 45 minutes to explore the market area and it was more than enough. Even though this was touted as the real floating market, if it wasn't for the tourists it wouldn't be open.

It was fun to walk around and get a feel for what life must have been like when this was actually how most of the people lived.







It was only a half day tour, but it was quite nice. On the way back we stopped at a teak carving tourist trap, although they had really nice stuff. This was a nice jaunt, but next time I would like to take an additional side trip to the bridege over the river Quay. I'm sure when I return with Hitoshi that will be one a big stop on our tour.


No comments: