Friday, January 06, 2006

To Myanmar & Back


For more than 20 years ever since Susan and Summer came back with stories of stepping back in time after their trip to Myanmar, none better to some of you as Burma, I have always wanted to go and explore this fascinating country for myself. Last year I tried to make arrangements to go and everything fell through. This year after a planned trip to Thailand with my friend Hitoshi fell through, I talked Jenny Dunbar into making the journey with me. Jenny's initial response was, "Isn't it dangerous!", and Lonely Planet asks on the cover of it's book, "Should you go?", but I would encourage anyone to explore this country if they have a chance.

Probably the first thing I heard from people were complaints about gov't regulations and restrictions in the country. The first one was a mandatory $200 money exchange. I thought so what our hotel is going to be at least half of that so what does it matter. I had read that you could possibly get around doing this if you were a couple and the 2 of you could get by with the mandatory exchange. The reality, things have changed recently, and I think the gov't even though this is the official stance looks a blind eye to the rule. When we arrived at the airport, I saw no one exchange money at the only exchange window at the airport. Pretty interesting. US dollars were accepted almost anywhere. We paid the hotel in US dollars, all the tourist places entrance fees were payable in US dollars, and even in Scott Market we could pay in dollars if we wanted. The second thing I had heard was that customs was very strict and that you would have to register cameras and if you wanted to take your cell phone it would be held at the airport. It seems that now all these regulations are non existent.

I'm sure there are still many political problems and civil rights abuses that go on in the country, but I have no comment on any of that, I went in to get a glimpse of a country that has a remarkable history, beautiful landscapes and architecure, and a warm friendly people. Eight people groups and 132 ethnic subgroups. To see more of my trip take a look at my HP. http://homepage.mac.com/mikewdesu/PhotoAlbum27.html

No comments: