Tuesday, May 29, 2007

New License

Had to renew my drivers license today, a rather involved process, that as I thought about it is interesting how I get through these things and wonder if I could do the same process as smoothly in the states. It was sort of like a cattle drive. You get the application and that line was the shortest, fill out the form and buy a revenue stamp on the form. Luckily most of the lines are numbered. As I handed in the form, they said, is your alien registration ok? I was like yeah, then they said well can I see it? I wanted to say if you would have asked that question first it would have been much clearer. Anyway the line to hand in that line was huge or should I say the for or five lines were huge. Then it was off to the eye check, door #3, there was an explanation at the entrance and I made sure that I read it so I would know what I was doing. Well a lot of good that did, there was no button to push like they said there was and also there was no color blind test. At door#4 I handed them my form and after a few minutes wait I was told to go to door #9 and get my picture taken. Then they told me to go on to lecture room #9 and then an elderly gentleman thought he would be helpful and told me in English to go to room #4, I was like what then he realized his mistake and I actually did get to the right room. Then it was time for the 2 hour lecture and movie. The movie was not like the blood and gore scare you into safe driving, it was more aimed at showing the shame that can come with causing an accident. The character in the movie has an accident hitting 2 children, killing one, while drunk driving. Of course being an idiot he flees the scene. After a couple of days his shame gets the best of him and he confesses to his wife. At the end of his confession to his wife his two children barge in and the son scolds him for not doing the right thing. Of course the boy is all of about 10. He turns himself in and is sent to prison for five years, and is given a million dollar fine. Of course they have to sell the new house and his wife has to go to work. She tries to apologize to the family but is always refused. Finally in disappear the wife commits suicide, and the kids are sent off to relatives. Of course the father learns that the wife has killed herself, but doesn't know what has happened to his children. Needless to say it was a rather strange approach to encourage safe driving.

During a break from the lecture I asked about being able to renew my international license and the lady said her apply now it will take 5 minutes and then when you have your new license come back with that and a picture and we have it ready for you, she even went as far to say the window will probably be closed but I will wait for you. That was the nicest part of the day. Actually I got out of the room early and was the 1st one down to pick up my new license and got back to this later before she had closed down. Two birds with one stone and all relatively smooth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! You reminded me. I also did see the movie at the license office last year. It was the very same movie, undoubtly. by Kuma

Mike Wagner said...

Kuma,いつも僕のブログを読んで下さって、コメントを書いて下さって、有難うね!